Guilty


I have something to confess. I went to watch Asia Cup match last year here where this incident took place. It was at the stadium; entry is free for all. I guess its a move to popularise the sport, and I could see that for every match, the stadium was jam-packed. This one was during the finals - India vs Korea. Me, Paro and her 2 friends went to see the match. We sat on those cement benches. We'd taken the Indian flag along with us and also made some pickets to encourage our team. Also, this was sometime after the bomb blasts at Hyderabad. So, there we are enjoying the match and having a good time. Suddenly, I hear cries of "Allah hu Akbar"! A bunch of guys sitting behind us were shouting it repeatedly. At once, (and I'm ashamed of myself) alarm bells rang in my head! OM MY GOD! What if they want to blow up this place?! What if ... ? Unthinkable questions came into my mind and I couldn't concentrate on cheering our team. The other girls were busy doing it, but my heart was pounding. I whispered my fears into Paro's ears and immediately, she said, we should to the VIP area of the stadium. We had passes, but we chose to sit on the benches cuz we were in a hurry. The queue for VIP area was long, and everyone was being frisked. Whereas to go to the common area, people were just let in. Anyways, she said we should move ASAP to the VIP area and we did. Nothing happened. Match proceeded smoothly, and we won by 7 goals to 2.

I felt really bad about myself. Ashamed. Guilty. Since when did I start thinking that a Muslim praising Allah is a terrorist waiting to blow up the place? Why did I think like that? Does it mean that I'm one of those narrow minded people, who decide whether to befriend a person or not by judging him/her by his/her last name? Or religion? No. A big resounding NO. I'm a person who thinks religion is only a way to have faith in a super power above, the Almighty. It maybe Krishna, Allah, Moses, Jesus - all. And I don't bias anyone on anything. People have a reason to behave the way they do, and the only way is to understand them, not simply judge them. But for that day, I can't seem to forgive myself. Muslims in our country have been wronged. But their methods are not right. Bloodshed is not the answer for anything. But, just because one of them is bad, doesn't mean all end up as terrorists! I have a couple of Muslim friends who love India, and are extremely peace-loving. Recently, all Imams came together and said that what Islamic terrorists are doing is not jihad, its fasad. And fasad is prohibited according to Quran. If today some are fanatics, don't you think that something/someone has rubbed them the wrong way? Who would willingly, for no reason, want to kill people? Who would want to blow themselves up in a hospital, killing sick people and doctors?

The Kashmiris are facing insurgency since 61 years now! 61 years of bloodshed, tension, no peace. They don't enjoy that; they want to get out of it and live in peace. The Islamic Rage Boy hasn't become angry in one day.

For people who've brought in such rich culture and a strong dynasty to our country, least we can do is accept them.

I'm sorry for thinking like that on that day... I have lots and lots to write on this... but this is too long already.

Another thing, do you vote? If you are an Indian and are above 18, please take part in the poll you see on right side of this page. I strongly believe we can bring about change by way of elections, but I've done so only once in twice Lok Sabha that were held (since I turned 18). Do you think too that elections help? India's current Air Force chief says he hasn't cast vote in 10 years! Thats because he's always been on duty during . I was shocked to hear most of my friends haven't voted even once, neither has my hubby. And many even think that its a sham. I wanted to know your opinion.

PS: I've labelled this post as "being Indian" because I strongly believe in एकता में बल है , that Muslims are our brothers and that all Indians do not hate Muslims or judge them.

5 Response to Guilty

  1. virdi says:

    I think this is what media has done to the muslims. Keep showing them as bad people 10 hours a day on the news channel and then if they say "Jeetega Bhai Jeetag India jeetega!
    Allah Hu Akbar !!!"

    We get scared that they will blow this place. They were just saying "India will win Praise the god !!! We should say sorry in our hearts and try looking at everyone with the same binoculars. the problem is that such binoculars are not manufactured anymore !!!

  2. Why would you say that? I agree media miscontrues the image of certain sections of people, but that doesn't mean others are bad. The very intention of writing this was to come out clean, as I felt genuinely sorry about it. So you see, such binoculars are available. People should be able to see them thats all :)

  3. waah..kya likha hey..ur right we need to come out of the religious shackles..but what about Uncle Sam?

  4. While I agree that everyone should use the "same" binoculars; In light of what is happening around us with such alarming frequency, I also believe that it is normal for a human to experience paranoia or fear when faced with a situation similar to yours...

    Of course, it's equally important and best to feel sorry about it or regret it later. As you did.

  5. Anonymous says:

    As an American woman who reverted to Islam in 2001 (only Muslim thus far in my family) I know what it's like to have those feelings about Muslims, who wouldn't, especially if you grew up w/in mainstream in the States? I mean all day long Muslims are being accused of so much, really being made out the be boogie men, oppressive to women, the list is too long as we all know. It's nice to have read this particular post. I appreciate your honesty and openness about what you thought and felt, and coming to terms and dealing with it.

    PS
    Really nice blog you have here :-) I like the html, Masha'Allah.