Volunteer work


I volunteered through my office to teach at a local school here. I was required to teach English to class V students; the challenge being that its a vernacular school. Its a school for the poor, mainly fishermen' kids and kids from slums nearby. I taught them for 3 hours on saturday morning, and promised the kids to be there every alternate saturday (as is the schedule). The kids were overjoyed.

There were other volunteers like me; and we all taught a group of 3-4 kids. Mine consisted of only girls, each of whom kept asking my name and giggling and touching my dupatta and staring at me :) The minute I entered the class, this gal gang nudged on my dupatta and started tapping the floor, motioning me to sit with them (yes we all sat on the floor). We were given 15 minutes to interact with them, before the principal came in. I have done volunteering work before, but here I was in a vernacular school, a language I couldn't even understand! But you know how kids are, they don't have such apprehensions, they don't think that their broken English is a deterrent, or that they should not open their mouths if they cant say a sentence in English; the kids started yapping, making actions with their hands and sometimes standing up and enacting with a full body motion what they meant - so that I could understand :) Though I felt apprehensive at first, the kids made me feel at ease :)

To be continued... gotta get back to work :)

1 Response to Volunteer work

  1. Goddy says:

    Good , Great work.... Now I can you a teacher who is doing a noble job