Saag Paneer (or Palak Paneer)


I have to admit I suprise myself more than anyone else after I've eaten something that I've cooked myself. Whats more, the surprise doubles when the dish turns out real good, which is always *patting my own back*

The deal is, I havent been much into cooking and trying out recipes. I guess I couldnt be bothered. But not anymore. I like to try out new recipes and wow the husband and make my momma proud. She used to tell me, "You should really at least step inside the kitchen once in a while; it'll do you good." (Of course, I never listened to her)
But now, when I gush over the phone what I cooked and how I did it and what praises I got, she's one happy momma :)

Also, once I come home, I hardly get the time to cook. I slouch in front of the TV or go to my room and stitch, before dinner. But lately I've realised that if I want to do something, there IS time for it. So when I bought palak (spinach) last weekend, I thought to myself, I will cook palak paneer. (paneer = tofu cheese).

I did! Last night! How did it turn out? Well lets just say no one touched anything that the cook prepared ;) Here's the receipe:

***

Ingredients:
  • 4 Green Cardomoms
  • 3 Dalchinis
  • 4 Cloves
  • 4 medium-sized tomatoes
  • 2 medium-sized onions, chopped fine
  • 3-4 green chillies
  • 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and mashed
  • 1 tsp ginger paste (or ginger, peeled and mashed)
  • 2-3 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
  • 2.5 tbsp curd
  • 3 cupfuls of palak leaves (roughly about 300-400 gms)
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 2-3 pinches of Kasuri Methi
  • 10-15 paneer cubes
  • Salt, to taste


  • Serves: 4

    Cooking time: 20-25 mins.

    Method:
  • Wash the palak leaves thoroughly, and into smaller sizes.
  • Add green chillies and grind in mixer; until its a fine paste. Keep aside.
  • Heat the ghee in a pan for 2 mins.
  • Add the cardomoms (discard the skin), cloves and dalchini.Heat and stir for 2-3 minutes.
  • Add the onions and mashed garlic and saute until golden brown.
  • Add the ginger paste and heat again.
  • Grate the tomatoes for fresh tomato puree (yea, thats how I make and use puree!) and add it to the pan. Stir until fat leaves the sides.
  • Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and stir. Leave for a minute.
  • Add the palak paste and kasuri methi powder and stir continuously.
  • Add salt and stir again.
  • Add the paneer cubes, cover with a lid and simmer for about 10 minutes until the paneer is soft and takes in the gravy.
  • Open the lid, add curd and stir.


  • Serve with hot rotis!

    ***

    You can also use vegetable or any other cooking oil instead of ghee, but I prefer ghee क्युकी देसी घी में बनाए खाने कि खुशबु और स्वाद, क्या कहने! Translated for S*, it means, "The aroma and taste of (mainly, Indian) food cooked in clarified butter is something to relish!"


    PS: Pic helps, I know. I'll remember to post pics of the dish next time around when I post a recipe here!

    1 Response to Saag Paneer (or Palak Paneer)

    1. S* says:

      I love butter!