Food Riots...


... are now a reality. I'd never thought about it, and seriously, its scary. And a certain something I'd like to refer as a blot on womankind, and also on Earth, who goes by the name of Condoleeza Rice, says people in China and India are to be blamed because our appetite has increased. Look who talking. Someone who hails from a country where number of obese people is huge. Seriously, US politics is a huge sham. And while I really don't care, I hope the new Pres will bring about some seriousness to the "superpower"'s governance.

Our economy is booming, people have jobs, govt. comes up withmid-day meal schemes - and this lady has a problem.

Everyday I see reports of bombs exploding in Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Lebanon, food riots in Sudan, civil unrest in most African nations, tigers vs govt. in Sri Lanka, Israel vs Palestines, Tibetan unrest - I mean, do people have a problem with peace? Don't people want to have a normal life where they can work, spend, go on vacations, and be content? I get shudders thinking what kind of world I live in. And what kind of world we'll pass on to the next generation. What if my kids ask - why were people so immature back then? why all the riots? Blood and gore - who needs that? Its like a mini WW-III. Sick. Sometimes I think who's wrong? And who do you think is right? Indeed if people from each party/country/fundamentalist religious groups think they are right, they won't give up ever on fighting isn't it? And then what? People seem to have very poor memory. With 2 WWs behind us, I'd have thought we have learned our lesson. A grip on reality is what is missing. Govts., people, religious outfits - they all think they can continue doing what they do as long as they have the resources, without stopping to think about the consequences. Look at the war in Afghanistan - how long will it continue? I remember reading Britain's plans to pull out its troops by Christmas 2007. Thats long gone and they are still there. If your peace-bringing attempts aren't working and one of the reasons is that your troops are still there, you should probably pack up your bags and leave. Since you've been there long enough.

And where's the UN in all these situations? Its reduced to a toothless tiger.

I think we still have a shot at maintaining a civil society, in what seems to be only on our planet in the whole Universe. And its not too late. How do we do that, is a daunting task and everyone's responsibility.

I'm writing a late-review on Khuda Ke liye. Words fail me. Its a beautiful movie. Do, please, do watch it. Review coming soon.

5 Response to Food Riots...

  1. This template deserves a compliment of the highest order. Its unique and warm
    Loved your place on the blogosphere

    God bless u

  2. I guess US just want to rule, They act like a don or something.
    Every country is trying to make military base near other countries and they all talk about peace.
    Why don't US think about terrorism in kashmir? Were alerted a lil when 9/11 happened ..
    I don't know ... Leave world, I read news paper these days .. all it got news like, 5 people murdered in a day.
    People are being robbed by stopping their cars and stuff.
    I really feel weird and think, it can not be place where i grew up, coz it used to be safer and people were not so much short tempered.
    Well .. i will see that movie. Everyone said that its a must watch .. will watch it in a day or 2 :-)

  3. Matt says:

    great post! i could not have said it better myself.

  4. heehee

  5. Violence is now a part of the system.

    90% countries in Africa are war ravaged at any given time of the year, Eastern Europe has crime rates which would make Delhi seem like a safe haven for everyone, Asia ka to buraa haal hai hii, South America still is the land of free drugs, guns and crimes - and I really think it's only a matter of time before China and the USA lock horns - the great depression II.

    The situation probably won't improve anytime soon... neither, I think, will the future generations!