Come, suck the "dollars" out of my purse


... is what I want to tell the auto drivers of this city. What else can you do when they ask exorbitant amount of money and literally indulge in daylight robbery? No one - the govt. nor the police - does anything to curb this menace. Its commuters like me who have the face the brunt, be at the receiving end always.

The meters are put for fancy - not even a single auto in the city uses them. Au contraire, you ask them about it, and they simply drive away without another words. Its appalling!

It happens everyday to me and I'm sure I'm voicing scores of others in the city like me. Picture this:

Me: Take me to A, right turn from there to bldg B.
Auto: (big loud voice) OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THAT far?? Okay. 120 rs *grin*
Me: Wha??!?! I give 50 rs. everyday!
Auto: So little madam! Lot of traffic madam...
Me: SO? Am I responsible for it? Thank your stars I'm taking auto and not buying a vehicle of my own, which would've added to this sad city's traffic woes.
Auto: Route long madam. Petrol costly madam.
Me: Then why dont you get CNG engine fitted? You can ply 500 km in just 50 rs.
Auto: (laughing at my suggestion) Route aaalso long madam.
Me: So? I'm giving you almost 10 rs. more than what the meter would've charged.
Auto: Okay madam 115 rs.
(From 120 he comes down to 115! Big diff!)
Me: No way. Is meter on?
Auto: (looks at me, he's mum)
Drives away!!!

This is just one instance. There are times when they quote a humongous, laughable price and just leave. You ask about meter they just smile and drive away. Mind you, its been more than 4 months, meters are just a fancy thing like the posters they stick on the insides of the auto.

I understand the problems in using the meter. My take is - if the min. amount is too less, then dont accept the conditions in the first place! Really! Why agree to that price when you are not going to use the meters anyway? Quote a price to the govt. such that its profitable for you, and for us commuters as well. You complain to the police or control room, they dont do anything.

Its a struggle everyday, commuting by autos in this city. They cheat, they are rude. Once I got an auto for 60 rs. to drop me home, when I pay him 100 rs., he gives me back 30 rs saying he doesnt have change!!! HOLY MOTHER OF GOD why didnt you tell me in the first place??!! Give me the 100 rs. back I'll get change and pay you 60!! He says no, and starts abusing me and making big hand gestures for all the people on the road to see, and do nothing.
Now, I make sure I have change before I get into an auto. I've learnt my lesson the hard way :( + x-(

And today, it was worse. This nth auto I flag, and I tell him where I want to go. He, like others, quotes a huge price. I'm like, "Dude you must be crazy" (I didnt say it out loud, I used different words.)
What he says next what a bolt, "Madam, earning in dollars madam... 100 rs not much."
Meaning, I earn in dollars (not true) so I should pay even if it is twice the actual amount.

YEA RIGHT!

1 Response to Come, suck the "dollars" out of my purse

  1. Well its not the fault of the auto-drivers who fleece. Its the people here who have given this oppurtunity. Check this list, of why auto-waalahs charge exorbitant rates:
    1. The majority of autos plying in Chennai, are owned by politicians(MLAs, MPs, muscle-men) and police. So who is going to arm-twist with them? Its not that people don't have power, but he will be lost in labrynth on Indian Penal Code system.
    2. People in India, don't change easily with time. Not even for obvious need also. They always need a shock to change.
    3. Ofcourse if I being a traffic police/police man catch a auto guy for fleecing, then I will extract 50/- fine but not more than that coz I need to think of the auto which I own and plying somewhere in Chennai.