You wouldnt worry about the title if you were me...


So I was on my way to the parlour this morning (yes छुट्टी के din मैं थोड़ी self-indulgent हो जाती हूँ ) . It was scorching hot at 11 AM, and I saw two knife sharpeners. The ones like this guy below.




The 2 men I saw were carrying one of those things each, and they are really heavy mind you. One of them was young, about 30 max, another was probably 50, and was limping. My heart melted... I felt like my goodness why do they have to do that for a living?? I dont even know how many customers they get each day, given that hardly anyone these days goes for such traditional methods of knife/scissor sharpening. Probably no one even sharpens them; they just buy new ones.

And operating it in the blistering heat must be hard. I didnt even see them carrying a bottle of water along. They have to keep pedalling on that small peddler-like thing, which makes the round thing spin fast, and the object to be sharpened is held on it. Just the object's edge thats to be sharpened is held near. And you gotta peddle faster if you gotto make it spin faster. That will do the trick for a blunt knife. What if the sharp-edged spin wheel gets rusted?? What if the instrument needs frequent oiling? I mean, what are the chances of making a living out of something like this in which probably the maintaining cost outweighs the earning from it?

This is not good. I hate to see people suffer, I hate to see them toil to make both ends meet. Makes me feel really selfish about going to the parlour and worry about my eyebrows than these things.

I hope the sun wasnt too hard on them.
I hope they got ample customers. I wish they get more everyday.
I hope they had water when they got thirsty.
I hope they didnt feel miserable when they were going about their jobs.
I hope that at the end of the day, they are satisfied.
And that they are happy.

Amen.

2 Response to You wouldnt worry about the title if you were me...

  1. Let me tell ya very famous story.Once a king set sent his best of infantry to find out the happiets man in his kingdom, as the king wanted to learn the secret and be happy. After lot of painstaking search, they found the unbelievable..A guy lying on the grass with just a piece of flanel shirt and trousers lying near a ranch.He had no worries,no lies to be told, all jovial,had never anything more than wat was needed for survival, and will not take anything except some 1.5mts of land when he perishes....

  2. Goddy says:

    You speaking like me.. and yeah I agree with comment posted by ikirty

    even if you remember the Buddha story where the lady ask him to bring back his son back to life... he ask her to find a house where no one has died... and she is unable to find a single.. someone .. had some close one dead .. sometime in the very near past...

    Life is a travel.. you have to stubble... now its up to you whether you get up and walk again or sit down on the road and look at your boo-boo and keep sulking.. :)