Being grown up is...


... err... not so much fun as I thought it would be. I was just speaking to a dear friend today, and we were discussing some serious issues like money management and handling responsibility.

She has just moved into a new place, smaller than her earlier one, and was wondering if she would fit all her things in there. Not that she's short on cash or anything, the earlier place was too big for 2 people (she and her husband), and this is just about right, almost. Another thing she was telling was that how her husband is quitting his regular 9-6 job and joining a friend's startup where he'll be getting less than what he's currently being paid at the 9-6 job. Both are okay with it, and she says that she will now have to cut down on extra expenses as mush as possible and save. Her mom too, is undergoing treatment for breast cancer, so that expense is also there. He will, it seems, also do part-time teaching on weekends at a business school, so that will add up too.

Situation is kinda similar at my place too. I think twice before spending money waywardly, something I used to do early on in my career (the wayward spending). I used to splurge money every weekend on clothes n eating out and buying stuff for my cousins. Every. Single. Weekend. I saved very little. In my defense, it was my first job and my college-going cousins were really excited everytime I bought them stuff. Then my mom retired and moved in with me, and thats when reality dawned on me. I HAD TO save for paying the bills, groceries, house rent and all those expenses. Suddenly, earning money wasnt that fantastic a deal. I had a lot to deal with, at home and at my workplace. No nothing emotionally bad, just the responsibilities seemed too overwhelming to me at times. I started thinking twice about splurging money, something I never did before. And also I signed up for insurance and other investment crap (blast the govt for its stinky tax) which brought with it the premium payment and all that shit. My mom used to offer help, but I refused saying I need to learn and be mature and all that. Wonder which part of my brain did the lightening hit :-)

Now, it really doesnt excite me to be grown up. I'd rather be a free spirited girl unmindful of green worries. Like I can just not show up at work one day and show my boss note from my mom, and get away with it. Like I can take off biking to the mountains and enjoy the scenery without worrying about the deadlines. Like I can care a hoot about what am I going to do with my future and enjoy cross country backpacking. And it'll be lovely if I could hitch hike the ride. Like I dont have to think about taxes and only about relaxing, painting and learning new languages, meeting new people and have a blast.

Now too, I am having a blast with my life, only that I am actually working my ass off towards it. I'm enjoying it, but I also want to see me doing all that I mentioned above :-) ummm... I dont know, maybe being a grown up is not that bad after all??

Just maybe :-) well, until next time the green worries hit me at least!

2 Response to Being grown up is...

  1. Wow...good post...
    Makes me remember...a good song "Here comes the sun ".....by beatles...

  2. Goddy says:

    When I was a kid.. I wanted to grow up,

    and now that I am an grown up guy.. I feel it was better back then, when I was a Kid...

    What would it be when I am an old rugged Man.

    Why does We, Humans have to work to earn everything in the society- Why isnt the concept same as the birds.

    Why dont I just find a magic portion to drink and lo! I am a kid again.... :)